21.02.2011

Until vs By

We use by to refer to a deadline or the latest date when sth must be finished / completed.

Examples:
I need the report by Friday.
Application forms must be received by 31st March.
You will receive my email by EOD. (=end of day)
I reckon the film should be over by 9.30.

We use until to refer to a period of time to do sth. Please note that the spoken form of until is till.

Examples:
We have until Friday to finish the report.
I was employed by a manufacturing company until 1999.
Until now, the United States could not produce enough oil to satisfy its needs for transportation.
He waited until she had finished speaking.
Up until last year, they didn't even own a car.

TEST YOURSELF
1. They lived in a small house ... September 2003.
2. You have to finish ... August 31.
3. I will be away ... Wednesday.
4. Will the details be available ... December?
5. Details will not be available ... January.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz