23.02.2011

I Wish

We use I wish + Past Simple when we want to talk about the present. We want to express regret for a present situation.

I wish I were you. (= but I'm not)
I wish I knew the answer. (=but I don't)
I wish I could speak Hungarian. (=but I can't)
I wish you had more time for me. (=but you don't)
I wish she didn't have to work sho hard. (=but she has to)


We use I wish + Past Perfect when we want to talk about the past. We want to express regret for a past situation.

I wish I had studied English at school. (=but I didn't)
I wish I had taken your advice. (=but I didn't)
I wish she had visited me yesterday. (=but she didn't)
I wish you hadn't stayed at home last weekend. (=but you did, you stayed at home last weekend)


We use I wish + would when we want to express our annoyance / anger at somebody's behaviour (something is annoying / irritating / something gets on your nerves.)

I wish my neighbour would stop listening to music so loudly!
I wish you would listen to me!
I wish you would stop throwing things around the flat!




TEST YOURSELF
1. I wish you ... (give up) smoking! I can't stand the smoke!
2. I wish I ... (can) play the piano.
3. I wish Jack ... (attend) my birthday party last week.
4. I wish I ... (not choose) philosophy when I was graduating.
5. I wish my boss ... (not scream) at me! It's so difficult to concentrate.
6. I wish it ... (not rain) today.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz