27.06.2011

Allow vs Let

In the English language there are two verbs which mean exactly the same. They are to allow and to let. The only difference is in the usage.

While using the verb to allow, we need to use the following structure:
to allow sb to do sth
e.g. My parents wouldn't allow me to go to the party.

While using the verb to let, we need to use the following structure:
to let sb do sth
e.g. My parents wouldn't let me go to the party.

The only difference is the lack of to while using the verb to let. Here are some more examples:
Don't allow your problems to dominate your life. = Don't let your problems dominate your life.
We do not allow people to smoke anywhere in the building. = We do not let people smoke anywhere in the building.
Some people seem to allow their kids to do whatever they like. = Some people seem to let their kids do whatever they like.

TEST YOURSELF
Fill in with allow or let.
1. Alice’s mum won’t …..... her come with us.
2. …..... your imagination run wild.
3. Sue doesn't …..... her kids eat candy.
4. Unfortunately, they didn’t …..... me to explain the thinking behind my decision.
5. I stepped back and …..... him pass.
6. I can …..... you have another £10, but no more.
7. …..... me have a look at that letter.
8. She only …..... the children to watch television at weekends.
9. …..... Johnny have a go on the computer now.
10. DVD …..... you to record programmes and watch them later.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz